Casement Windows offer Key Advantages over Double Hung Windows
By Mark J. Donovan
|Double hung windows and casement windows are very popular in residential home building. Both window styles are available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, and are made from a number of materials including wood, metal and vinyl. Each has their unique pros and cons, however in a head to head comparison between casement windows vs double hung windows I would say double hung windows win out. Certainly I see more double hung windows installed in new homes today than casement windows. This said, summarized below are the key advantages and disadvantages of installing casement windows.
Casement Windows vs Double Hung Windows and Air Flow
Casement windows, a.k.a. crank out windows, have a few key advantages over double hung windows.
First, casement windows are hinged on the side and thus open sideways. As a result, casement windows actually open up more than double hung windows, thus allowing more air to enter the home. With double hung windows effectively only half of the overall window can ever be opened up.
Breaking into double hung windows, on the other hand is much easier. All that is required is to slide a slim pry bar between the upper and lower window sashes and pull up on the locking mechanism until the locking screws give way.
Double Hung Window vs Casement Window Replacement
Double hung windows are typically easier to replace than casement windows. In many cases, double hung window sashes can be replaced without having to remove the old window frame. Casement windows on the other hand typically require the removal of the entire old window.
If you need more help on choosing the right window replacement for your home, contact one of our pre-screened window installation contractors. They can help you select the replacement windows that are right for your home and budget, and perform the installation.
For more information on Installing Replacement Windows and Interior Window Trim
- See the Installing a New Window Ebook from HomeAdditionPlus.com. The Installing a New Window Ebook provides easy to understand, step-by-step instructions, on how to remove an old window and install a new one. Pictures are included for every key step in the process.
- See the Installing Interior Window Trim Ebook from HomeAdditionPlus.com. The Installing Interior Window Trim Ebook provides easy to understand, step-by-step instructions, on how to install interior window trim around a window. Pictures are included for every key step in the process.
- The Benefits of Replacement Vinyl Windows
- Who Pays When the Wrong Windows are Ordered?
- Window Installation Cost Estimates
Additional Window Installation and Maintenance Resources from Amazon.com
Get Free Window Price Quotes, No Obligation!
Fill out our 3-5 minute quick and easy form, and receive a free price quote on windows from one of our prescreened and licensed window contractors. This process is free and there is no obligation to continue once you receive your window replacement price estimate.